Time for Court

What is the process to Vacate a Default Judgment in Florida | 561.699.0399

What is the process to Vacate a Default Judgment in Florida
What is the process to Vacate a Default Judgment in Florida

Did you receive a default judgment for failing to respond to a complaint in Florida?  Although you might think this would mean there is no legal recourse, you may be wrong.

The Test

A defendant that received a default judgment for his/her failure to respond to the complaint may file a Motion to Vacate a Default Judgment if he or she meets the following three-pronged test:

(1) whether the defendant has demonstrated excusable neglect in failing to respond;

(2) whether the defendant has demonstrated a meritorious defense; and

(3) whether the defendant, subsequent to learning of the default, had demonstrated due diligence in seeking relief.

Florida Rule of Civil Procedure 1.540 states the criteria and time frames for obtaining relief from a Judgment.

What It All Means

In Florida, excusable neglect is defined as a reason that would validly explain why you did not respond to the initial complaint. A meritorious defense is whether the Defendant would have a winning argument in his or her Affirmative Defenses to the Complaint.  In Florida, the court must typically hear a case on its merits and would normally reverse a default if a case can be heard on its merits after demonstrating the above three-pronged test.  Lastly,  due diligence is the process of actively attempting to change your situation as soon as you learn about the default.  In essence, doing all that you can to reverse the default.  An example of due diligence is when the Defendant immediately contacted an attorney and seeks representation in the legal matter.  Due diligence can also means taking it upon himself or herself to call opposing counsel to work out the matter.

If the Plaintiff does not voluntarily agree to vacate the default, a hearing may be held for the parties to argue their position before the Court.  Although it is not a guaranteed victory, a Motion to Vacate can help in dire situations and worth a shot! It is important to know your rights and to consult an attorney as soon as possible if you receive a default judgment in your Florida lawsuit. Call your West Palm Beach Attorneys of Law Office of Ryan S. Shipp, PLLC today @ 561.699.0399 or stop by our office @ 814 W. Lantana Rd. Suite 1, Lantana, Florida 33462 to learn more.